HLAG - Dev Log

A Small Preface

Sometimes Step Forward is a Step Backward

I'm going to make real one of my dreams I have during playing Adrenaline Gamer mod. That dream is a worthy successor of the game.

Years passed, different modern engines and technologies were investigated and learned by me. With time came knowledge and understanding and I realized that sometimes step forward is a step backward and maybe one of the better solutions is to develop Adrenaline Gamer using predecessor engine which, I must admit, evolved greatly since 1996 and continues that progress thanks to many talented people.

QuakeLife

One day, digging the Internet (in particular github), I found an interesting project called QuakeLife. At he beginning, the initial idea of the project was behind the curtains for me as there were no description in the github repository and I tried to compile it and run with Darkplaces engine and saw nothing special (at first glance)... It allowed to play HL maps in Quake.

Then I realized that it can be greatest possible starting point for a remake.

Code Quake

I was really amazed when find out that there are two popular protocols in QuakeOne:
  • QuakeWorld 
  • NetQuake
So... jumping in coding before reading some information was my first mistake...
It appears that Darkplaces does not support multicast, userinfo and other features that QuakeWorld supports. And as far as I could understand from the QuakeLife code this functionality was used in it.

Obviously better option is to use FTE as it deviate from QuakeWorld and with time gets NetQuake protocol support. Besides, as I mentioned before, the author of QuakeLife used it :)


Current Status

Here is some videos showing current status of the project. I'm going to release a prototype with fully reworked assets, maybe with exception of maps, for a small group of people to receive a feedback and adjust my plans for the future.

I'm going to distribute content using my own launcher developed with andgular.js and nw.js as it allows me to easily build and setup another core object of this project - The Infrastructure.

...


Plans

  1. Implement & Test Prototype
  2. Implement, Setup & Test Basic Infrastracture (Launcher, Services, Servers)
  3. Release Private Prototype
  4. Release Public Prototype
  5. Deside what to do with all of that (I hope I'll continue development)

Comments